"The more you know, the less you carry" - Mors Kochanski.

October 17, 2007

You know you are a bushcrafter when...

I was just checking out Sam's Woodcraft in Poland Blog. (yes.... I know.... work! But its break time so its ok.) I read a post that Sam titled the same as this one - You know you are a bushcrafter when... and I had to laugh!

Through the years as I researched 'Ultra-light' techniques and ideas and then on to my period of "Obsessive creator of the ultimate Survival kit" which I taught my Scout troupe, and now moving into the focus of Bushcraft, I am always on the lookout for containers that could be used for an other purpose than its original design.

I have always felt that the only true way to help the environment and compensate for manufacturers over use of our natural resourses was to go through my neighbours recylcle bins on the street (late at nite of course) and nick anything that looked useful. Then there are the uses goods stores like Sally-Ann (salvation army stores), Value Villages, and lets not forget the ever popular "Garage Sales!"

I was collecting plastic caps off of bottles (will post their use later), empty vitamin bottles, juice cans, VHS cases, used camera cases and pouches, food containers, you name it - I collected it!

It got to the point where I have so much stuff around that could be useful for one kit or another that I could probably sit down and make a dozen or two kits and still have stuff left over! (A point my lovely wife has no problem reminding me of)

I think I lost my point somewhere back there but here it is in a nutshell: I am always looking at things in stores, our house, or out on the street that I could modify and make into some new cool piece of camping/bushcraft gear!

Nice to know I am not the only one in the world doing it! Now I am just going to have to come up with some posts about stuff I can make out of other stuff! Thanks Sam!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment