"The more you know, the less you carry" - Mors Kochanski.

November 23, 2007

Clothes, Clothes, and more ...getting ready...

I have been doing a lot of work lately on clothing. Testing out different systems and layers, and materials. I tend to like fleece because it has some of the same characteristics as wool without the need to scratch constantly in public.

The last week or so I have been going to the local second hand clothing stores and looking for wool pants and sweaters. And anything else that looks like a good deal for that matter. The idea is to work on Mors' system of up to but not exceeding 5 layers.

1. - Wicking layer
2. - Thin layer of wool
3. - Medium layer of wool
4. - Heavy layer of wool
5. - Windproof/Waterproof Breathable layer

There is more information to this system but I will go into more detail after I have done more testing. I have worn a lot of fleece in the past and not had too many problems but I wanted to give wool another try. Did you know that some of the characteristics of wool help to keep you from smelling as bad after a couple days as you would if you were wearing fleece? Just found that out.

Henry the puppy is doing well and apparently LOVES running around in the snow. No wonder he and the kids get along!

I am also getting things and ideas ready for a Over Night Test camp the first weekend in December. A friend and I will be working on a couple of the Basic Survival topics that I will be putting together in some of the Bushcraft and Wilderness Survival training courses I am working on. (Thanks again for the advice Mors!)

We will be working on different variations of Mors Kochanski's "Super Shelter" and working out our clothing systems. The idea with the clothing is that one of the most important pieces of survival kit should be your clothes. Can you live comfortably in the wilderness for 4 days without a fire? The only thing we plan to use the fire for is for boiling water as that is all we will be ingesting for the 24 hours that we are out there. Sound a bit rough? Not really. Safe conditions, and extra supplies and equipment in the car that is only 15 minute walk away. The way I see it, there are the things you know, you know. The things you know, you don't know. And there are the things you don't know, you don't know. The only way to change the things you don't know, you don't know is to get out there and try it! You follow?

Been missing the woods ever since the trip to New Hampshire. Looking forward to getting out there again.

Will post more stuff soon.

Thanks for reading,

Decado.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! I will definitely be reading it often. I'm in hamilton and it's nice to read about some more local stuff. I only recently learned about the term 'bushcraft' and have been thrilled to find that what I've been playing around with for a long time has a huge community with lots of information available online.
    (also awesome is the fact the you quoted Terry Pratchett!)
    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    Welcome to the world of Bushcraft!

    look forward to hearing from you.

    Decado

    ReplyDelete