"The more you know, the less you carry" - Mors Kochanski.

November 10, 2007

Another spoon...

While I was at the Bushcraft and Wilderness Survival Course with Mors Kochanski, I had the opportunity to spend a little time carving during one of the sessions.
And I thought to my self.... Self! Why don't you carve yourself another spoon! So that's what I did.

This is what it looked like when I got it home. Note that it was very green wood when I started carving. Green is far easier to carve that dry wood and made it a lot faster to carve. Under the circumstances I did not take the necessary precautions and wrap it in a plastic bag to let it dry slowly. As you can see there is a crack at the tip of the spoon and a larger one at the start of the handle.
I decided to finish it anyway and see if I could salvage it. I pulled out the sand paper and went to work.
Here is what it looked like after an hour or so of sanding.
The small crack is mostly gone but the larger crack is still there. It was a lot deeper than I thought it would be, but it looks better. Will probably give this to someone for a present.
I also wanted to try oiling this to see how it would turn out. Here it is drying.

Spoon #2 completed. #3 is already started.

Thanks for reading,



No comments:

Post a Comment