"The more you know, the less you carry" - Mors Kochanski.

October 11, 2007

X-Mas came early!

I have had it for a week but I thought I would post this to tell the tale!

From a birthday gift from my parents and an early present from my overly-generous and beautiful wife, I got a chance last weekend to go down to my favorite wood carving store in Kitchener and pick up the "Carving Jack" by Flexcut.

It is awesome! I am carrying it around where ever I go now. I had read Ferrol's post about carving a spoon being the right of passage so..... the first thing I did was look for a piece of wood. I was at my brother's place at the time so I had to make due with what I could find. In this case I thought I would play it safe and just test out the 'Jack' on a piece of cedar. I know. Its probably not the best wood for making a spoon but I thought I would give it a try. (will post a picture soon) It worked like a dream. I have found that Flexcut makes a good quality carving tool.

I will be taking a look around this weekend to see if I can find myself a nicer bit of wood to make my very own camp spoon. In the mean time I sanded the cedar one up a bit and left it for my creative wife to find. Will probably find it hanging on the wall somewhere in the house decorated with flowers by the time I get home! She is, after all, my biggest "carving" fan...

Now if I could only get all my camping equipment cleaned up out of the basement, she would probably proclaim me her shining 'Hero'! Hrmm.... maybe not!

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see another new bushcraft blogger come into the fold. I look forward to reading your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I will try my best! If its half as well written as yours... I will count myself lucky.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second sam's sentement! good to see you're writing.
    But more to the point, lucky you getting a woodjack, i've wanted one for a while.
    I'm adding you to my RSS feeds, best wishes
    Bushwacker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm! I've seen those, I think they have some on sale at LeeValley.com - might consider getting one. Have added you to my blogroll, enjoying your blog! A fellow Bushcrafter nearby!
    Cheers,
    Mungo

    ReplyDelete